Humanized Birth is a Canadian non-profit grassroots organization that advocates for women’s rights in childbirth and everyone’s basic human right to respectful, peaceful, humane birth.
We focus on:
- Creating more humanized birth practices through respecting informed consent and informed refusal during childbirth
- Preventing obstetric violence against birthing women and the devastating maternal trauma it can cause
- Normalizing birth as a natural and highly personal physiological process that more often than not does not require medical assistance
We believe that mothers are the true experts on their bodies and their births, just as medical staff are experts on addressing some complications that could, albeit rarely, occur during birth.
We are glad that medical expertise exists, but we believe that medical staff should use their expertise only if and when true complications occur and only if and when the mother provides valid informed consent. When these criteria are not met, we would like to see hospitals and staff being held accountable for violating the rights of birthing women.
Humanize Birth promotes woman-led autonomous childbirth and we advocate for every birthing woman’s right to informed consent and refusal in all matters related to her pregnancy, childbirth, and post-partum period.
- are passionate about women’s rights in pregnancy, childbirth and parenting
- were unhappy with your own childbirth experience
- want to be part of creating positive change surrounding birth in our society
- know that changes are needed but have not yet found a way to contribute
And if you disagree with us?
Talk to us! One of our goals is generating open dialogue about childbirth. And by dialogue, we mean a conversation between equals. Please comment on our blog posts or join the conversation on our Humanize Birth facebook page.